Toor Dal also known as Arhar Dal, Peeli Dal or Yellow Dal is a lentil preparation which is a must-have in most Indian households. It is healthy and super easy to make and tastes delicious with roti or steamed rice.
To make this delicious delight here’s what you will need:
- ¾ cup toor dal, washed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 slit green chilli
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 4 curry leaves
- 2 whole & dry kashmiri chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
How to prepare:
- Put daal, onions, tomatoes, green chilli turmeric powder in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water. Cook for 3 whistles
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid
- Remove the slit green chilli and add one cup of water, salt to taste and whisk well. Then set it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds, garlic asafoetida and curry leaves to the hot oil and saute on medium flame for about 30 seconds.
- Add dry chillies and saute on medium flame for 30 seconds
- Add the dal mixture to the pan and stir well. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring at intervals.
- Add coriander and mix well
- Serve hot